Out of State Title Transfer
Welcome to Limestone County, Alabama!
Please refer to the below resource list to help ensure an effective visit to your Limestone County License Commissioner’s office. It’s understandable that laws and procedures vary from state to state. That said, feel free to contact us or visit our office if you have any questions.
- Vehicle owned outright (No Lienholder) – Official title required
- Vehicle has a Lienholder – A copy of the official title required
- Leased Vehicle – Copy of the official title and Lease power of attorney required.
*WHEN THERE IS A CO-OWNER ON A TITLE AND THE NAMES ARE JOINED WITH “AND” BOTH OWNERS MUST BE PRESENT TO SIGN ALABAMA TITLE APPLICATION*
- Most current vehicle registration from the State your vehicle was last registered in.
Driver’s License / State Issued ID
- Alabama law states that “A non-resident who has a valid driver license from the state of previous residence may drive without an Alabama license for 30 days after becoming a resident of the state”. However, an unexpired out of state driver’s license / State ID may be used to register your vehicle in Alabama. Click here to view Rule 810-5-8-.09, explaining other acceptable forms of ID.
- Proof of Alabama insurance is required. (Your insurance card will need to reflect that it is “Alabama insurance”).
- The VIN of any vehicle that is not already titled in Alabama must be physically inspected (Not a photograph of the VIN). If the vehicle cannot be driven in for inspection, or there are multiple vehicles that need to be inspected, call our office for further information that can aid in completing this requirement. (256-233-6430)