The Animal Control department receives calls for assistance from the general public, various agencies, and county departments. All calls are responded to, and appropriate follow-up action is taken as required. Animal Control duties also include maintenance on animal cages, keeping cages in an acceptable state of cleanliness, and maintaining reports of calls and equipment on loan.
On November 1, 2003, Limestone County Commission contracted with Dr. Robert E. Pitman to provide all services necessary in order to receive, house, and dispose of animals delivered to him by Animal Control. All housing and disposal of animals are within the requirements of the laws and regulations of the State of Alabama.
Animal Control Policy
The CODE OF ALABAMA addresses County responsibility for ANIMAL CONTROL in Title 3-1-5 and Title 3-7A-7:
3-1-5 Permitting dogs to run at large, applicability of provisions of section in counties and certain cities or towns.
(a) Every person owning or having in charge any dog or dogs shall premises or the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Nothing in this section shall prevent the owner of any dug or dogs or other person or persons having such dog or dogs \n his or their charge from allowing such dog or dogs to accompany such owner or other person or persons elsewhere than on the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $2.00 no more than $50.00.
(b) This section shall not apply to the running at large of any dog or dogs within the corporate limits of any city or town in this state that requires a license tag to be kept an dogs nor shall this section apply in any county in this state until the same has been adopted by the County Commission of such county.
3-7A-7 Impounding or animals running at large in violation of chapter Authorized; facilities for impoundment; notice to the owner of’ impounded animal.
- (a) It shall be the duty of each and every county in the state to provide a suitable county pound for the impounding of animals found running at large in violation of the provisions of this chapter. Every municipality over 5,000 in which the county pound is not located shall maintain a suitable pound or contribute its pro rata share to the staffing and upkeep of the county pound.
- (b) Where animals are impounded, the impounding officer shall, in some form or manner, give a notice of not less than seven days, and, if the owner thereof is known, such owner shall be given direct notice of the Impounding of an animal or animals belonging to him.
LIMESTONE COUNTY HEREBY ADOPTS THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE FOR DOG AND CAT CONTROL POLICY IN LIMESTONE COUNTY:
- Calls will be answered Monday through Friday, from 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- Traps may be provided for dogs and cats. County personnel will transport animals to the animal shelter.
- Injured or sick dogs and cats will be picked up by County personnel only if the Humane Society does not respond.
- Animal Control will respond if wild dogs or cats present a health threat as determined by the Health Department or Rabies Inspector.
- Emergency calls will be answered after 3:30 P.M. holidays and on weekends to pick up a dog or cat that has bitten someone. The dogs or cats will be taken to a veterinarian for proper disposition.
- Destruction of the property of others, threatening situations, and public nuisances are civil matters and are not the responsibility of Animal Control.
The CODE OF ALABAMA addresses livestock and other animals as a law enforcement responsibility.
Limestone County Resolution
WHEREAS, Limestone County Commission, realizes many persons owning any dog or dog permit them to run at large and many are reported to be a danger to neighbors and other animals, and
WHEREAS, Alabama Code, Section 3-1-5, provides provisions for counties to require every person owning any dog or dogs to keep said dogs in their charge.
NOW, THEREFORE, Limestone County hereby requires every person owning or having in charge any dog or dogs shall at all times confine such dog or dogs to the limits of his own premises or the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Nothing shall prevent the owner of any dog or dogs or other person or persons having such dog or dogs in his or their charge from allowing such dog or dogs to accompany the owner or other person or persons elsewhere than on the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $2.00 no more than $50.00.
Phone: (256) 233-6476
After 3:30 PM call
Sheriff: (256) 232-0111
Animal Control Officer
Assistant Animal Control Officer
Animal Shelter “Dog Pound”
1701 US Highway 72 E
Athens, AL 35613