Boat Operator Vessel License
Who Must Be Certified?
All Alabama residents 12 years of age and older who operates a motorized vessel on Alabama waters. If the vessel license is acquired after January 1, 2002, and the operator is under 14 years of age, then a person 21 years old or older with a valid operator’s license must be on board and in a position to take immediate physical control of the vessel if necessary.
Proof Of Age:
All minors must furnish to the state drivers license examiner a certified copy of their birth certificate and social security card. (To view ALEA, Driver License Unit documents list click here.)
Cost Of Certification:
A one time fee of $5.00 (five dollars) cash is charged by the drivers license examining officer as an application fee.
How To Obtain Boat Operators Certification:
- Applicant must go to State Driver’s License Examining Office. (To view State ALEA Driver License office locations click here.)
- Make application and pay fee ($5.00).
- Answer medical questions.
- Successfully complete written/oral exam, or show proof of exemption. (To view or download boat operator’s handbook click here.)
- Pay license fee. If you are a non-resident or non-licensed driver, the cost is $36.25 for the initial drivers license. If the applicant is requesting changes on his non-expiring drivers license, the duplicate fee is $31.25.
Exemptions From Examination Requirements:
- Holder of a valid United States Coast Guard Motorboat Operator’s License.
- Person submitting a valid certificate of successful completion of:
- United States Power Squadron Boating Course.
- United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Course.
- Any State or Alabama Marine Police Division approved boating course (Alabama Boating Basics Course or Alabama Boating Education Online Exam).
- Any boat operator who was 40 or older on April 28, 1994.
NOTE: Boating course certificates or motorboat operator’s license must be submitted to the Driver’s License Examiner at the time of making application.
NOTE: The operator license must be in possession at time of vessel operation. Additional Information concerning “Rules Of the Road” related to operating a boat in Alabama waters can be obtained by contacting the office: Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, Marine Police Division, Montgomery, Alabama; 334-242-3673