We are a healthy, happy community; a perfect place to raise your family and operate your business. From our nationally recognized annual Storytelling Festival and abundant outdoor activities to jobs in heavy manufacturing and high tech, Limestone County has something to offer everyone. Welcome Home to Limestone County.
Limestone County is located in the rolling foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The County is in the center of the Tennessee Valley with the Tennessee River running along the southern end of the county. The county name comes from a large creek, which flows through it, its bed of hard limestone. Limestone County rests on the northern bank of the mighty Tennessee River and stretches to the southern boundary of the State of Tennessee. Limestone County comprises an area of 565 square miles with a 2010 Census population of 82,782 with 21,897 people inside the City of Athens. Athens is the county seat located approximately 1.5 miles west of Interstate 65. Limestone County has an excellent highway system, which includes I-65, I-565, U.S. 31, U.S. 72, AL 20, AL 99, AL 127, and AL 251. Athens and Limestone County offer a community rich in Southern tradition, which is poised for tremendous future growth.
The mission of the Limestone County Commission is to demonstrate good stewardship over financial resources, provide exceptional services to its citizens, and promote economic opportunities to enhance the quality of life for its people.
In keeping with that mission, The Limestone County Commission administers a combined budget of $29,666,614.00. This budget supports the operation of the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, Limestone County Judge of Probate’s Office, Limestone County Revenue Commissioner’s Office, and Limestone County License Commissioner’s Office, Limestone County Council on Aging and supports the operation various other services to the citizens of Limestone County. A portion of the budget is also used to maintain 1064 miles of roadways in Limestone County.
The Limestone County Commission will be opening on a two hour delay tomorrow, Monday, January 22, 2024. The Commission meetings will be held tomorrow at 2:00 at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex.
The out door warning siren located on Mooresville Rd at the South Limestone Volunteer Fire Station is out of service due to electronic board failure. Parts have been ordered to be repaired asap. Please have multiple ways to receive weather alerts such as a weather radio or mobile weather alert apps etc.
The Limestone County Solid Waste Department would like to inform all residents of the scheduled changes for the upcoming holidays.
Our Christmas week and New Year’s week schedule is as follows…
*On Tuesday, December 26th, beginning at 4am, we will pick up all Monday AND Tuesday routes.
*Wednesday and Thursday routes will remain unchanged.
*On Tuesday, January 2nd, beginning at 4am, we will pick up all Monday AND Tuesday routes.
*Wednesday and Thursday routes will remain unchanged.
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE:
The Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965 (Public Law 88-578), requires that citizens be afforded the opportunity to express their views concerning the recreational needs of their community. To provide a forum for discussion, an open meeting is being held on Monday, November 6, 2023, at 9:00 AM at the Limestone County Courthouse Annex in the Commission Chambers. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss potential grant opportunities to purchase a tract of property off of Cotton belt Road that adjoins Sugar Creek for the purpose of constructing an access point for canoes and kayaks to Sugar Creek. The county is considering applying for funding assistance to implement this project. Anyone wishing to support or oppose this recreational improvement project is invited to voice their opinion at this meeting or submit written comments to Limestone County Commission, Attn: Collin Daly, County Chairman, 310 W. Washington St. Athens, AL 35611. All citizens who would like to attend the public hearing but have a disability which might require special materials, services, or assistance, should notify the County Commission office at (256) 255-6400 at least three days in advance of the public hearing.
Chairman- Limestone County
October 28, 2023
* * A public hearing concerning the proposed subdivision regulations will be held on September 5th, 2023 during the regular meeting of the Limestone County Commission, which shall take place following the Commission’s work session at 9:00 AM in the Commission Chamber at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex at 100 S. Clinton Street, Athens, AL for public comments.
Based on public comments the Commission has received, with respect to the Proposed Subdivision Amendments, the Commission has drafted some alternative language for a few of the amendments. You may find that alternative language in the link below. The alternative language is highlighted in yellow.
We have had many requests from Limestone County citizens for a document showing the proposed changes to the current existing subdivision regulations. Below you will find a link to that document.
We have also provided a link to a group of Frequently Asked Questions concerning the proposed subdivision regulations.
The Limestone County Commission has resolved to move the Monday, August 21, 2023 work session and meeting. It is rescheduled for Friday, August 18, 2023 at 9:00 AM.
Please click the link below for the proposed revised and restated Subdivisions Regulations for Limestone County.
Please send any written comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solid Waste Collection –
A message from Limestone County Commission regarding the new Automated Solid Waste Collection Service:
Please click on this link for the interactive map. You can enter your address and the map will show you your location and your designated Solid Waste Collection Day.
CLICK HERE FOR THE INTERACTIVE MAP As a reminder; If you are currently receiving Solid Waste Collection Service from a municipality, such as Athens or Madison, then your service will not change. However, if you live in unincorporated
Limestone County, please click on the link and enter your address to see your designated Solid Waste Collection Day.
Limestone Community News
Notice is hereby given of a specially called meeting of the Limestone County Commission to be held at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, June 27, 2023, at the Limestone County Commission Chambers located on the second floor of the Limestone County Clinton Street Annex
- Public Notice – Modification of an Existing Solid Waste Management SiteTAKE NOTICE that on March 20, 2023, at its regular meeting at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex, 100 South Clinton Street, Athens, Alabama, immediately following the Work Session of the Limestone County Commission (“Commission”) at 9:00 AM, the Commission will consider whether to approve the modification of an existing solid waste management site located at… Read More »Public Notice – Modification of an Existing Solid Waste Management Site
- Public Hearing Notice – CDBG & ARC Application Public Hearing NoticeThe Limestone County Commission will hold a public hearing on October 17, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex (100 South Clinton Street, Athens, AL) to discuss the County’s submission of an application for Community Development Block Grant Economic Development (CDBG-ED) and Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) funding to support wastewater system improvements… Read More »Public Hearing Notice – CDBG & ARC Application Public Hearing Notice
- Special Called Meeting of the Limestone County CommissionNotice is hereby given of a specially called meeting of the Limestone County Commission to be held at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, January 10, 2022, at the Limestone County Commission Chambers located on the 2nct floor of the Limestone County Clinton Street Annex. The agenda for the meeting will be consideration of the approval of… Read More »Special Called Meeting of the Limestone County Commission
- Public Hearing Notice: January 3, 2022 | 9:00amThe Limestone County Commission will hold a public meeting on Monday, January 3, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. to discuss the FY 2022 Community Development Block Grant program. The public hearing will be held at the Limestone County Commission Office located at 310 W. Washington Street. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the CDBG… Read More »Public Hearing Notice: January 3, 2022 | 9:00am
Browse, search, view, save, and share digitized Limestone County government records, historic photos and documents, and local history articles and videos.
The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office and Detention Facility is located at the intersection of Elm and Wheeler streets. We are here to serve you.
Limestone County was created by an act of the Alabama Territorial General Assembly February 6, 1818. Read about our history here.
The primary mission of the board is voter registration. It takes a majority vote of the board for an application to be accepted and the voter registered.
Our goal is to make every experience with our office as pleasant and proficient as possible making regular improvements in how we serve our neighbors.
If you have an emergency in Athens or Limestone county, the staff at Athens-Limestone 911 will get you the help needed as quick as possible.